- May 22, 2001
- Abbey's Web is still being updated now and then; but I have been very lazy
with updating this page...
- Mar 24, 1998
- Added information about the article Abbey's Boots.
- Dec 28, 1997
- The indexing and search service has been enhanced. Try it out!
- Nov 16, 1997
- The Quote database is now a true database, where you can search
for, and add new, quotes.
- Sep 20, 1997
- It's been a while since we had something really new and substantial for you, but here is
now James M. Cahalan's extensive and interesting article about Edward Abbey's Appalachian
roots in Indiana County, Pennsylvania, titled "My
People". Read it!
- May 19, 1997
- Added information about the replica of the state historical marker commemorating Ed in
Home, PA., in the form of a refigerator magnet, that is
- April 1, 1997
- If you use Windows95 you can now have an animated monkey wrench
as your "busy cursor"!
- December 8, 1996
- In affiliation wih Amazon.com Books, Abbey's Web can now help you order many of the
books and other items directly over the Internet. Visit our Bookstore
for more information.
- October 13, 1996
- Added link to the mirror site, and moved awards to About Abbey's
Two more articles by Jim Cahalan added to Articles about
An actual photo of the State Historical Marker has now arrived.
- October 4, 1996
- Updated information about the State Historical Marker in Home.
- August 26, 1996
- "Pulling up stakes" - the story
of a signed survey stake.
New and fixed links on the Links page.
A letter from Robert Redford supporting the State Historical Marker in Home.
A letter from Kirk Douglas to the Los Angeles Time,
regarding Lonely Are the Brave.
A new section for Articles about Edward Abbey.
Small fixes here and there.
- July 9, 1996
- Updated information about the State Historical Marker in Home.
- May 10, 1996
- Another addition to the Reflections area; the essay
Letter to Edward Abbey from Earth by Stephen J.
Keep it coming, folks!
- May 9, 1996
- Information about the recently approved State Historical Marker
which will be placed in Home, Pennsylvania.
- April 23, 1996
- A new genealogy section tracing Ed's family.
Much expanded information about the Edward Abbey
Wilderness Calendars and the Monkey Wrench Gang
- March 11, 1996
- Artist Michael McCurdy has contributed his original art for the book Earth Apples for display. The information about the
book has been completed as well.
The poem Homage to Lava Falls by W.C. Bottin, in the Reflections area, has been edited by the author.
A few typos etc are gone.
- February 12, 1996
- Even more cover pictures, almost complete now.
Corrected information about Ed's birth place.
- January 23, 1996
- We had a disk crash and lost the comments made by readers the last week or so, sorry
Added more cover pictures.
- January 14, 1996
- Updated information for the books Epitaph for a
Desert Anarchist, Serpents of Paradise,
and Desert Solitaire.
Added pictures of the
covers for Serpents of Paradise, Desert Solitaire, Vox Clamantis In Deserto, Confessions of a Barbarian and the movie Lonely Are The Brave.
Added the new section Resist Much, Obey Little with
information about current activism and hot topics.
Added two new contributions to Reflections.
- December 3, 1995
- Added the new search facility. You can now search through all
text in Abbey's Web as well as all archived articles sent to the mailing
Added a few more links, check for the icon.
- November 8, 1995
- Eric Temple contributed a photo of Ed for the Reflections section.
Added information about the early version of Fool's
Progress published as Confessions of a Barbarian.
- October 30, 1995
- Another contribution to Reflections, this time a
magnificent "Edward Abbey 2 cents postage stamp" from Josh Randall.
The Magellan Internet Index
gives Abbey's Web four out of four stars in this review.
- October 24, 1995
- There are two new contributions in Reflections, the
area for reader contributed material.
- October 5, 1995
- Abbey's Web has been reviewed and rated as being among the Top 5% of all websites
by Point Communications!
New comment facility -- instead of including all existing comments on the page you
know hit a button to read them (this saves a lot of juice on the server.)
Added running times and content information for the Freedom
& Wilderness audio tape.
There are some new links, marked with the symbol.
A brand new section called Reflections contains
essays and poems contributed by the readers.
An Introduction page has been added for people who have
yet to discover Edward Abbey.
New design for the front page - I hope my use of a HTML table does not upset too many
- August 19, 1995
- Added sections for audio tapes and the Edward
Abbey: A Voice in the Wilderness video. Entered the cover text for The New West of
Edward Abbey. Some new links.
Some more links.
- July 4, 1995
- There are new navigation icons with a "desert flavor". They're a bit rough
still but I'll keep working at them (any pixels artists out there that can come to the
I added a new page for the forthcoming book With
Traven and Thoreau by Ken Sanders.
I also added some new links to Dream
Garden Press, The
Arid Lands Newsletter and the book The River That
- June 12, 1995
- Changed most of the text that was in italic to be normal text, as some have
complained that it was hard to read (on cheap displays). What do you think, is it better
or worse now?
- June 6, 1995
- The links for Earth
First! now goes to the Web-pages set up by Vagabond
Jim on his Zoom
Street, instead of the dull gopher-site.
Added a link to a page about the characters in The
Monkey Wrench Gang that I found by searching the net.
- June 1, 1995
- Information about the upcoming NAAS conference in Norway.
- May 25, 1995
- Added more information on the book Resist Much,
Obey Little and the TV movie Fire on the Mountain.
- May 4, 1995
- The traffic on the new mailing list. has now started, and an
archive for 1995 is available.
- May 2, 1995
- Added information about the new mailing list.
- April 18, 1995
- Added the new book The Serpents of Paradise.
- April 8, 1995
- Added links to Mike Jewells pages for Edward Abbey and Camping in Southwest USA.
- April 3, 1995
- Weeded out broken links on the Links -page.
- March 28, 1995
- Added links to Outside
Magazine which has now made its debut on the web.
- March 24, 1995
- Added information about the Edward Abbey audio-tapes and the 1993 Edward Abbey Calendar
and some more links in the Bibliography section.
- January 20, 1995
- Added more links to the Links -page.
- January 18, 1995
- Ran the Word6 spell-checker over it, corrected a few typos.
Added Reader comments to the Links -page.
More Abbey books!
ads for Amazon?